Yes, I like movies. I live on AMC and Turner Classic Movies. I will stop in the middle of what I’m doing to watch a movie. Like “sit down” watch, not run in and out of the room.
There’s something about a wonderfully crafted movie that makes you sit up and pay attention. Yes, I already know the ending of the movie, but that doesn’t matter. It seems that when you watch a great movie, one that really comes together with the actors, the director, cinematographer, then it is really movie magic.
Following this great build up, I now present to you my top movies, in no particular order, with a select quotation from each.
1. The Godfather I – “All right. This one time I’ll let you ask me about my affairs.”
2. The Godfather II – “I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!”
3. Goodfellas- Now go home and get your fuckin’ shinebox.”
4. Gone with the Wind – “With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.”
5. Alien – “Come on, Cat.”
6. Aliens – “Not bad for a human.”
7. Star Wars –“Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”
8. The Empire Strikes Back – “Do or do not. There is no try.”
9. Raiders of the Lost Ark – “Asps… very dangerous. You go first.”
10. All About Eve – “Fasten your seatbelts, it’s going to be a bumpy night!”
11. Body Heat – “You aren’t too smart, are you? I like that in a man.”
12. Mildred Pierce – “You know, you keep on refusing me, and one of these days I’m going to start thinking you’re stubborn.”
13. The Shawshank Redemption – “Andy Dufresne – who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.”
14. Double Indemnity – “That’s a honey of an anklet you’re wearing, Mrs. Dietrichson.”
15. The Postman Always Rings Twice (Original) – “With my brains and your looks, we could go places.”
16. Chinatown – “You’re dumber than you think I think you are.”
17. Jaws – “You’re going to need a bigger boat.”
18. The Incredibles – “Well, I am sure I don’t know, darling. Luck favors the prepared.”
19. Cool Hand Luke -“What we’ve got here is… failure to communicate.”
20. Fargo – “I’m not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.”
21. Goldfinger – “No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!”
22. A Room with a View – “I don’t care what I see outside. My vision is within! Here is where the birds sing! Here is where the sky is blue!”
23. The Night of the Hunter – “A husband’s one piece of store goods you never know ’til you get it home and take the paper off.”
24. Psycho – “A boy’s best friend is his mother.”
25. Magnum Force – “A man’s got to know his limitations.”
26. The Silence of the Lambs – “All good things to those who wait.”
27. The Shining -“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. You didn’t let me finish my sentence. I said, I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.”
28. Unforgiven – “He should have armed himself if he’s gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.”
29. Dirty Harry – “Well I’m all broken up about that man’s rights.”
Yes, it’s an odd list – I didn’t include many of them and it does stop at 29. If I didn’t stop there, you’d be looking at my top 50 movies. As it stands, enjoy!
Karyn Gerrard says
OMG, I agree with every movie on your list, love the quotes you listed as well! Moves old and new and such a great source of inspiration. I particularly like the older ones like “All Above Eve’, it was all about the narrative and dialogue. Mildred Pierce and The Postman Always Rings Twice (original, of course) also fall under this.
Great post Dahlia! 🙂
Lorraine Nelson says
What? Where’s Dirty Dancing? LOL
As to Gone With the Wind… “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
And the scene where she wears a dress made out of drapes and visits Rhett in jail? priceless.
I am loathe to say this, but I never saw Dirty Dancing. (gasp, I know)
Thanks for commenting Lorraine and Karyn!!
It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this outstanding blog!
I suppose foor now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feewd
to my Google account. I look forward to brand nnew updates and will share
this site with myy Facebook group. Talk soon!
This paragraph is in fact a good one it helps new the
web viewers, wwho are wishing for blogging.
Everything is very openn with a really clear explanation of the challenges.
It waas really informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
Many thhanks for sharing!
Hi, everything is going fine here andd ofcourse every one is shazring data, that’s genuinely fine, keep up writing.
Hello very nice blog!! Guyy .. Excellent ..
Superb .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds also?
I’m satisfied to seek out so many helpful info
right here in the put up, we want work out more techniques
in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .
I am regular reader, how are you everybody?
This article posted at this web page iis really pleasant.
great put up, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of
this sector don’t notice this. You must continue yor writing.
I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!