Ever since The Walking Dead premiered on AMC, zombies have become a part of the general culture. Not that they weren’t there before, what with George Romero’s classic Night of the Living Dead and the many other films before and after it, but now, zombies are at the forefront.
In the event of a zombie outbreak, or any type of outbreak, it’s important to be prepared. You don’t have to break the bank in order to have your emergency bag well-stocked and ready to go! Read on to find out about the 12 items for your Bug Out Bag that you can get from the dollar store.
Bug-Out Bag: A bug-out bag[ is a portable kit that contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours when evacuating from a disaster. (Wikipedia)
First Aid Items – With all the running you’re bound to be doing, someone is going to fall and scrape their knee. You’ve seen it a dozen times in any given move. Have these items in your bag for just these times.
1. Triple Antibiotic Ointment
2. Antibacterial wipes
3. Bandages of different sizes/shapes OR Gauze pads
4. First Aid Tape
5. Rubbing Alcohol
Personal Care Items – No need to be smelly on the road. Skip the rolls of toilet paper. They take up too much room and aren’t really multi-purpose. The point of this bag is to get items that can be used for more than one thing.
6. Baby Wipes – So many uses for these – washing, wiping, refreshing, cleaning.
7. Toothbrush/Toothpaste/Mouthwash Travel Kit – Not only to keep away smelly breath, but preventing tooth decay is very important!
8. Flashlight with batteries (usually sold in kits)
9. Work gloves
10. Duct Tape
Okay, so the dollar store isn’t exactly a gourmet’s idea of a feast, but when you’re hungry and the 7-11 is overrun with zombies…you’ll thank me.
12. Potted meat – Tuna, corned beef, Beef Jerky, Sardines etc. (make sure it’s made in USA if at all possible)
You can also do with some cup o noodles and ramen, but remember, you need something that will give you PROTEIN. Salmon, sardines, tuna – yes they’re smelly and a little heavy, but it’ll keep you going.
I’m sure there are other items you can think of, but this is just to give a starter list. Any additional ideas? Leave them in the comments!