I had an interview with Harper Miller sometime last year, and I wanted to share it with you on the blog. Enjoy!
1. If you had an evil doppelganger, what detail would they enjoy revealing about you to the public that people would find surprising and possibly questionable?
First of all, if my doppelganger is really evil, then folks better watch out. The first she would say, the evil thing, is that I read Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier fan-fiction. Not sure if that’s super questionable, but, yeah.
2. How important is word of mouth (online and IRL) when it comes to supporting women-led small businesses?
It’s very important, and I think, more important than paid advertisement. Word of mouth is true endorsement. Nothing sells a product or a service better than the testimonial of a person who has actually used the product or service.
3. Do you have a writing mentor?
Yes, I do have a writing mentor/accountability partner. Although we just “met” a few months ago, she has changed my writing life for the absolute better.
4. What’s the most unbelievable thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind that makes it difficult to grasp the reality that the event occurred?
The election of our current presidentm #45. ‘Nuff said.
5. What was your mindset back in high school?
Honestly, my mindset was to try to be everyone’s friend. A real people pleaser. Now? Not so much. In fact, not at all.
6. When was the last time you embraced your kid like wonder and went exploring?
Because I have children, this makes it easy to do. I took them down to the “brook” where I used to go as a child. They, of course, were a little unimpressed, but I was glad I went, and hopefully, they’ll remember it!
7. If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?
I would believe in my writing more. Instead of dismissing it as “a fad” I would have finished a story and sent it off somewhere. Right now, I feel like I’m playing catch-up!
8. What was the last five-star Romance you read?
Wow. The last five-star romance I read? I can’t choose! I do enjoy historical romance, books by Lisa Kleypas and Mary Balogh.
9. If you could have your own reality TV show, what would it be?
Shirtless men in a piano-playing competition. Categories: Classical, Jazz, and mid-20th century American Songbook. Tie breaking Category: 80s music.
10. If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?
Probably try that DeathWish coffee and three espresso shots.
Bonus: Ever tried BDSM? If not, would you?
Yes. Now, if I were a top or bottom, that’s a story for another day. 😉
Dahlia DeWinters was born to run, but she’s too tired for all of that now. Instead of debating the politics of dancing, she writes multi-genre stories that celebrate the Black woman in all her diverse beauty. Her work ranges from sentimental romances to dark zombie epics. Whatever the story, there will always be a unique heroine in the eye of the storm. Sometimes she will be the storm. Coffee, music, and movies keep her motivated, along with the occasional purchase of mascara and lipstick. In her spare time, she enjoys digital graphic design, crocheting and of course, reading.
For more information about upcoming books, visit her website at dahliadewinters.com.
Newsletter sign-up: news.dahliadewinters.com/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/854283651419880/