It’s Christmas Eve! Many of us are cooking with family, hanging out with friends or maybe enjoying a few days of peace. Whether you celebrate or not, it doesn’t matter – you can still enjoy these holiday-themed drinks!
- 2 bottles Merlot
- 1 bottle ginger ale
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 4 to 6 oranges or tangelos
- 6 to 10 cinnamon sticks
- ½ bag of cranberries
- In a medium pot, combine Merlot, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Let simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour immediately into a sealed pitcher or other container. Chop apples and add them along with the cinnamon sticks to the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Add ice and ginger ale to serve.
- For a more carbonated punch or mimosa, add the ginger ale to the wine after it’s cooled … then it will keep the fizz.
Apple on the Rocks
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. In cocktail shaker combine applejack, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Cover and shake about 10 seconds or until cold.
- Fill a tall glass with ice; strain apple jack mixture into glass. Pour the hard cider on top. If desired, garnish with an apple wedge.
From the Test Kitchen
- 4 fresh strawberries
- 1 part vodka
- 2 tsp superfine sugar
- 5 oz pineapple juice
- mint sprigs for garnish
- In a blender, whiz the vodka, strawberries, sugar and pineapple juice together.
- Pour the mix equally into two highball glasses.
- Top with 7-Up.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Let me leave you with this….