Cook: 30 min
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus 1/4 cup for brushing
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Jelly spiders, orange or black nonpareils, for garnish, optional
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center; add the milk, egg, and 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Whisk the dry and wet ingredients together until smooth.
Transfer batter into a large size pastry bag with a # 3 or 4 open tip. Carefully squeeze batter in a circular pattern and then back and forth into the oil, to make a free form spider web-like design, about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Cook until bottoms are golden, about 2 minutes. Using tongs or slotted spoon, turn fritters over and cook until golden on other side, about 1 minute more. Transfer the fritters to paper towels to drain briefly. Brush lightly with maple syrup and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm or at room temperature alone or with the garnishes.
Copyright 2008 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
*You may use a zip bag instead of a pastry bag. Snip a corner to the appropriate size and you’re good.